To protect your brand (e.g. clothing or event brand), you should register a trademark in South Africa.
Steps to register a trademark:
- Call us to: (i) confirm that your brand is not “descriptive”; and (ii) identify the “classes” in which your trademark should be registered.
- We will search the trademark databases to look for conflicting trademark registrations. Cost: R2,500 plus vat.
- We will prepare and file trademark applications with CIPC (our trademark office) to protect your brand. Cost: R3,450 plus vat for the first trademark.
- In 12 months or so, we will arrange publication and grant of your registered trademark. Cost: Free.
Once registered, your South African trademark will prevent others from making, importing advertising, and selling competing products / services using a brand that is “confusingly similar” to your trademark within South Africa.
Although you may use your brand before filing the trademark application (and before your trademark application is registered), it is better first to file the trademark application.
Should you wish to extend your brand to other countries, we can assist you to file foreign trademarks. This is best done within 6 months of filing the South African trademark, but may also be done at a later stage.
Available trademark classes:
3. Cosmetic / cleaning
4. Lubricants / fuel
8. Hand tool
9. Computer, software, electrical, scientific
10. Medical instrument
11. Environmental control instrument (lighting, heating, cooling, cooking)
12. Vehicle (land, air or water)
15. Musical instrument
16. Paper, printed material
18. Leather (excluding clothing)
19. Non-metallic building material
21. Houseware and glass
22. Rope, cordage and fiber
23. Yarn and thread
24. Fabric and textile
25. Clothing and apparel
26. Lace, ribbons, embroidery
27. Floor covering
28. Toy and sporting good
29. Meat and processed food
30. Staple food
31. Natural agricultural
32. Light beverage
33. Wine and spirit (excluding beer)
34. Tobacco and matches
35. Advertising, business and retail
36. Insurance and financial service
37. Construction and repair
39. Transportation and storage
40. Treatment and processing of material
41. Education and entertainment
42. Computer, software, scientific
43. Restaurant and hotel
44. Medical, beauty and agricultural
45. Personal, legal and social